Copilot breeding cooperative
The Copilot Breeding Cooperative’s mission is to build a community of people who are interested in breeding functional pet dogs. What is a functional pet dog? It’s a dog bred for great health and great temperament that will thrive as a family pet.
The objective of the Copilot Breeding Cooperative is to produce healthy, temperamentally sound dogs whose primary purpose is providing companionship to humans, while simultaneously collecting data and developing best practices for the breeding of pet dogs.
- To maintain a population of breeding dogs in a manner consistent with their health and mental well-being
- To be a sustainable source of healthy, temperamentally sound pet dogs to the general public seeking ethically sourced puppies
- To establish and maintain a pedigree registry and database for companion dogs containing health and temperament data that can be used for scientific study and to inform breeding choices
- To provide support to member breeders including, but not limited to: access to breeding stock, assistance with placing retired dogs and breeding prospects, mentorship, financial support for testing and veterinary care, access to expert advice including that informed by the study of shared data
- Document health and disease risk in mixed breed dogs and develop best practices guidance for health testing in this population
There are two membership levels:
- General Membership: open to anyone willing to sign an agreement supporting the co-op’s ethical guidelines for husbandry and business practices.
- Voting Membership: open to all breeders with at least one litter accepted for registration with the Copilot Breeding Cooperative.
Benefits: All Members:
- Ability to register qualified adult dogs and puppies in the pedigree database
- Access to the co-op studbook
- Expert guidance about health and temperament testing
- Access to data collected by the co-op
Benefits: Voting Members:
- All of the above, plus…
- Financial support for testing when it becomes available (voting members only)
- Assistance placing breeding prospects into guardian or co-own homes, and retired dogs into long-term homes through the co-op website and social media presence
Members are expected to abide by: